Jermyn Street, St James’s is one of the most exclusive and richly historical retail districts in London. Its links with excellence and service are deserved, age-old and synonymous with the many royal warrants associated with its shops and its close links with the gentlemen’s clubs of the area. In 1660, Henry Jermyn, Earl of St Albans, was leased a piece of land to the northeast of St James’s Palace by the King. The quarter grew quickly, attracting aristocracy with an eye on a London residence close to the royal court at St James’s Palace.
From the time construction of the original street was completed in the 1680s, until 1837 when the royal household moved to Buckingham Palace, Jermyn Street and the surrounding St James’s was the London home to some of the richest and most powerful families in the land. From the middle of the 19th century until today, the street has supplied the clubs of Pall Mall and St James’s, become preeminent as the home of gentlemen’s perfumers and shirt-makers and is the original provider of luxury accoutrements to the English gentleman. Jermyn Street more than lives up to its legend.